Monday, December 29, 2008

My "Drug" of Choice


Emily Dickinson wrote, "There is no frigate like a book". I prefer to think of books as my favorite drug of choice. When the world gets to be too much (seen the news lately) or simply too mundane, I find I can get a nice sustained high with a book. It doesn't even have to be a good one, just something to capture my interest and set my mind wandering in a different direction.

When the holidays blues hit me smack dab in the middle of Christmas, I found myself craving just such a high... which is how I ended up "shooting up" with the Twilight series... The lovely loss of control I feel with these books is evidenced by the 1000+ pages I have poured through in the past two days. Two books down, two more to go and I am slowing down my pace ... so has to enjoy every last word. Are the books good.. they are "okay" The story on the other hand is hypnotic and engrossing... With every page, I keeping thinking and then what.. and then what...

The rumor is that the fourth book is a let down... "for the best I say"... I will read through until the bitter end... and if that end breaks the spell with terrible writing and a poorly thought out plot.. well then my detox will be that much easier....

1 comment:

Jo said...

I am also a happy addict of the Twilight series - the women at work all started to read it and it just snowballed! A nice escape - I bought the hardback editions because they are fun to reread!