Sunday, February 18, 2007

High Tech Art


Okay, this is definitely not the best picture, but the idea is so cool I had to share. Saw this at the Seattle Flower Show... This giant Koi is made up of discarded CDs that shimmer just like fish scales... All the containers in this display were shiny new trash cans...

We used trashed cans as containers in front of our old garden store. They were affordable (less than $20 each), highly durable (outside all year long) and stylish (they have a modern and whimsical flair). In fact, we received request for trash cans pots quite often... and it just about killed us to admit we bought them at a chain hardware store.

I have an old magazine clipping that shows an entire vegetable garden designed in trash cans. I love this idea and hope to replicate it to some degree in our new backyard. The cans keep the soil warm and are perfect for tomatoes. Plus if you wrap a thin copper wire around the base you can keep slugs at bay. I am hoping to use medium size cans on either side of our patio filled with

Scarlett Charlotte Chard from Renee's Garden Seeds. It will be decorative and delicious.

My other big idea is to do a flower border totally inspired by coral reefs. I have been toying with this idea for a while. I think so many succulents resemble coral. No stuffy English flower borders for me... I want something other worldly and tropical...

I am just in the sketching phase now, but as soon as I have more of a plan and plant names, I will share...

1 comment:

Lisa Johnson said...

It looks like gigantic bubbles!

The trash can idea is really cool! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new yard!